Monday, November 11, 2013

Cleansing and Conditioning- Things You May Not Have Known About Caring For Your Hair




A picture of myself from 2011. This is my natural color and I maintained my hair with sulfate-free shampoo and deep conditioning treatments every week.
Hello Glams and Geeks! This week, I will be posting several posts regarding various topics for hair care. I will be talking about Cleansing and Conditioning your hair, Treatments (both purchasable and DIY), Color Maintenance and healthier alternatives, Styling Tools, Tips and Products, and the Inputs for Outputs to Achieve luscious locks (the benefits of vitamins for your hair).


Today’s topic will be focusing on shampooing and conditioning your hair. Now, I know this is something that you know all too well as you do this so often, if not daily. But there are some things you need to know that may just change your views on how you shampoo and condition your hair, as well as what you choose to cleanse and condition with. So, before your next wash, keep these tips in mind!

First things first, I wanted to start by giving you all some great tips that I learned from my hair dresser a few years ago about how to properly shampoo and condition your hair. A habit that most people practice on a day to day basis without realizing it, is washing their hair every single day. Now, this is not always a bad thing depending on the type of shampoo you use (for example, a gentle cleansing shampoo free of harsh ingredients). But this may be the cause of those flakes you get every now and then, or those fly-away strands you can’t seem to tame. But it most definitely is the leading cause to lackluster, dehydrated hair. As per my hair dressers recommendations, she said to wash every other day in order to improve the texture, shine, and hydration of my hair and scalp. She explained that the reason for doing this is to allow your scalp to release its natural oils (I know how gross this may sound, but it’s actually quite healthy). During this process, the oils released begin to nourish the skin on your head, as well as your hair follicles, promoting new hair growth, as well as strengthening each strand.

The second tip she gave me was in regards to conditioning my hair. Like most, I was unaware of how conditioning my hair daily would affect me. As someone who styles my hair with heating tools almost daily, I feel that conditioner is my hero during every shower, but after learning this tip, my hair has changed for the better. She recommended that when conditioning, try not to apply conditioner directly to your scalp unless you are doing a deep conditioning treatment. The reason for this is it speeds up the rate of your scalps reaction to release natural oils as well as increasing the amount that will be released, making your hair oiler, faster. Also, conditioner has a tendency to weigh down your hair, leading to flat, lifeless strands that can’t hold volume because they are being held down by the excessive moisture that is trapped in each strand. So, when conditioning hair, first grab your hair between your fingers as if you were putting it into a pony tail. Next, apply conditioner to the end that is sticking out of your “ponytail”. You can leave this conditioner in your ends for the remainder of your shower, or let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse. The results: hydrated ends, and a clean scalp! This guarantees cleaner hair for longer time as well as the ability to gain some volume in your roots! This tip may not be suitable for people with frizzy hair, as they may need the extra moisture to weigh down their frizzy strands.

Next up, we will be talking about something that some of you may or may not be familiar with, which is a damaging ingredient found in most shampoos called Sodium Lauryl or Laureth Sulfate. If it’s in so many shampoos, why is it so bad? This is something that many people have asked, including myself. Sulfate is a sudsy ingredient that is put into shampoo because it’s cheap for these companies to use, and it creates a thick lather, cleaning your hair much faster. While its cleaning abilities seem great, in reality, it’s robbing your hair of its health. Sulfate is used in cleansers such as the ones used to clean cars, laundry detergent, and other cleaning agents. Just imagine how this is affecting your hair. When applied, it literally strips your hair of its nourishment, leaving your strands dull, feeling coarse, and creates that annoying static in your hair. A few years ago, I began experiencing extreme dryness on my scalp. I tried all sorts of treatments and deep conditioners, and nothing really worked. I spoke with my hair dresser, who said it would be in my best interest to visit a dermatologist to really examine what the matter could be, as it definitely was a skin matter. Upon my visit to my dermatologist, she asked me various questions about my shampoo and how often I washed with it. After answering her questions, she informed me on what sulfate is, and how it had affected my hair and scalp. Because it is a harsh ingredient, it’s very common to experience mild to severe skin allergies. She recommended I discontinued the use of products containing the ingredient, and upon doing so, my hair has never been healthier. Below, I have provided a link for those of you who are interested to read more about this, as I think everyone should fully educate themselves in how this is affecting you. I think going sulfate-free is something to consider, as the benefits may be in your best interest. So, feel free to check it out, or do your own search on the web and see if this is a switch you’d want to make.





Two other ingredients that can be found in your shampoos that are very harmful to your health are parabens and formaldehyde. They both are included for preservative purposes, but are seeping into our scalps and causing long-term effects and damage to our health. I have provided links for those as well for you to read up on at your own interest.











Before I get started on this next topic, I wanted to recommend two brands that I have been using, that are free of the harmful chemicals mentioned above. The first is Organix. I started using this as soon as I found out about the effects that sulfate had on my hair. I started using the Coconut Milk line, and instantly fell in love. Their line ranges in price depending on where it’s sold, but never exceeds $10. You can purchase products from this brand online at Amazon.com or at any of their retailers (Target, Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, and other retailing locations). The next brand that I absolutely love is Ren Pure. I came across this brand while randomly shopping one day and figured I’d give it a try. I really love the way their shampoos leave my hair, as well as their conditioners. Their products are very clean of harmful ingredients and really leave your hair feeling silky smooth. Also, unlike most sulfate-free shampoos, you don’t have to shampoo twice to achieve a clean feel. They also retail at varying prices, but also remain at under $10. You can purchase their products online at RenPure.com or at retailing locations (CVS, Walgreens, Winn Dixie, and other retailing locations). For both brands, a full list of retailers is available on their web sites. (Organixhair.com and RenPure.com). While these are my personal favorites, there are so many other brands who offer sulfate-free shampoos at a great price, so definitely check out which ones may be suitable for your hair type and needs.


Now, let’s take a look at a great alternative for washing your hair: Cleansing Conditioner. I’m sure we’ve all seen the infomercials, promoting the very good, but very expensive Wen Conditioning Cleanser. Who wouldn’t want gorgeous, bouncy, shiny hair that’s loaded with volume and soft to the touch? I have tried endlessly to achieve it and truth be told, these cleansing conditioners really are the way to go. Let’s talk a bit about the product. What it is, is a cleanser that acts as a shampoo and a conditioner in one. You apply it, and it washes any dirt and oils out of your hair while nourishing and conditioning at the same time. It is a great alternative, especially for those who do not wish to wash hair every day and want to maintain their hair super shiny, soft, and manageable. Now, while this all sounds great, I know how expensive Wen can be. And I know how costly it is to commit to purchasing pricey hair care. But no worries. I have found the perfect alternative. Ren Pure has made a perfect imitation of the Wen product, and is to date, my favorite. There are other brands who have tried to imitate the product, but either leave a nasty residue in your hair, or cause your hair to feel oily by the next day. But Ren Pure’s version of the product is all around great. It comes in two scents: Sweet Pomegranate, and Rosemary Mint, and it has Coconut oil, Shea butter, and Keratin as well as a few other beneficial ingredients to help nourish hair and deliver moisture and shine to your strands.



Our last topic for this post is something that I feel is an essential step to hair care. Deep conditioner is the best remedy you can use to restore your hair. During the week, we are constantly blow drying, straightening, and curling our hair. Filling it with products to achieve various looks and to hold it in place. But at the end of the week, be kind to your tired locks and give them some love. I recommend finding a deep conditioning treatment that works accordingly to whatever concerns you may have, whether it may be hydration, shine, eliminating frizz, etc.
There are so many great ones out there, but I personally love the Macadamia Oil Intensive Hair Mask from Organix. I am constantly taking an iron to my hair to either curl or straighten it, so my ends are always super dry and weak. As soon as I apply this mask and rinse it out, I can feel the immediate difference. My hair feels hydrated after each application. I recommend when doing this, apply the product from root to tip, massaging it into your scalp and ends. You can apply it to dry hair and leave it on for 30 minutes to an hour, followed by shampooing and conditioning, or after shampooing, apply it to your hair and clip it up, keeping the conditioner in for the duration of your shower, and rinsing it out with cold water to seal in moisture and enhance shine. This is something that should be done once a week, as over conditioning just drags down your hair, and can make it prone to breakage.

As always, I thank you for reading this post and hope I’ve been able to share some knowledge with you! I encourage all of my readers to please give feedback, to feel free asking questions, or to request a post that you may be interested in reading. Check back tomorrow for my second segment in my hair post series: Hair Treatments. I will be talking about treatments that have worked wonders for my hair, as well as giving you all some DIY recipes for various hair concerns. Hope you’ll stay tuned and again, thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment